Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sushi







My friend Marika talked me into trying sushi a few months ago and it was love at first bite. The problem is that I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and sushi isn't available here. Soooo what's a determined girl to do? Learn to make it of course. My friend sent me a kit that contained a bamboo mat, a cookbook and a DVD which was perfect for learning all I needed to know about making sushi at home. I got the ingredients at an Asian market and I was in business. The thing about sushi is that it's all about the rice and you can add what ever you want in the middle. I'm not crazy about the raw fish but I have come up with things that I think are delish. Wasabi paste is a must, Kewpie mayo, avocado, and the orange stuff is fish roe that is yummy. Sometimes I add cream cheese, cucumber or imitation crab and have made what is called sushi musubi which is made from Spam.

It is easy to learn how to make it and I would encourage anyone to give it a shot. I just recently bought my rice cooker at a discount store for $12. and it helps speed the process but is certainly isn't a necessity.

No comments: